Last Saturday afternoon found us wandering around at a local market. The moment we reached the colorful stand full of bell peppers, 50% of us knew that we’re going to fill them with ground meat later that day. That’s exactly what happened (after buying all the other ingredients, walking home and taking a nap) – a homey meal of stuffed bell peppers!
The result was healthy and delicious meal almost anyone can cook for themselves. Let’s get to our fast and easy recipe right away!
Here’s what you need (for 2-3 people):
– 3 large bell peppers – we went for three different colored peppers
– 150 g (1/2 pound) ground meat – we had beef and pork in 50-50 ratio
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, pressed
– 1 medium-sized onion, diced
– 175 g (1/2 cup) corn
– ~150 g (1/2 cup) Cheddar cheese, grated
– Pepper – we used a mix of 5 peppers
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– Pinch of parsley
– Sour cream, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for serving the meal
Here’s how you do it:
– Preheat your oven up to 350 degrees F (175 degrees Celsius)
– While the oven picks up the heat, cut your bell peppers in half (from stem to bottom), scoop out the seeds, and cut off the inner membranes of your peppers. Set the peppers aside.
– Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet over medium to high temperature. Throw in finely diced onion and chopped garlic. Fry until onion is gaining that glassy structure.
– Add beef and salt’n’pepa. Cook the meat until it starts turning brown. This usually takes 8-10 minutes.
– Drain off excess fat, turn down the heat and add corn, pressed garlic and parsley. Here we stopped with the ingredients but in this part of the process, you can add anything you want to your meat. Most popular options being beans, chili, rice, chorizo sausage, and much more. If you’re a cheesaholic, feel free to mix some grated cheese in your ground meat mixture as well.
– Fill the bell peppers with ground meat mixture and bake them for approximately 30 minutes. Be sure to add some water to the bottom of the oven dish. On the 25-minute marker top your peppers with grated Cheddar.
– Serve your meal with some sour cream, greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
There you have it – an easy recipe that morphs into a proper meal with nearly minimal effort. Bon appetit and enjoy your filled bell peppers, good friends!